His love never fails. He never gives up on me.

Sunday 25 November 2012

Nightshelter 2012/13

Well my blog's have been a little depressing recently, so I wanted to blog about something nicer, you know kinda like the 'It's not just doom & gloom' section of 'Russell Howard's Good News'

Nightshelter is a network of churches who group together in the winter months to help some of Brighton's most vulnerable people: the homeless. It acts as a stepping stone to help get homeless people integrated back into society, and primarily we provide food and shelter for up to 15 men a night. The scheme is run entirely by volunteers who really have a heart for serving, and compassion for both the city and helping people in this situation.

I volunteered last year and God blessed me so much by doing so, It allowed me to break down common misconceptions that I had of this group of people and actually put my heart for servitude into action for him.

I went through most of my Christian life thinking that God had missed me out when he was handing out gifts. I'm not exceptionally musically talented, I can't speak in tongues, I'm not a great leader, or a great public speaker. I can't quote verse after verse from the bible from memory. But it took me a few years to realise, God has given me a servant heart. I get so excited to work for Him, show his love to people who don't know him, through my actions. It's one of the reasons why I want to be a doctor, why I want to work with people, Not to demonstrate myself and how amazing I am, to to demonstrate Him and give glory to him through my actions in the opportunities that he's laying out before me.

This year I'm getting involved in nightshelter again and I'm absolutely buzzing!! due to first aid training, I can't do evenings anymore but I'm giving up sleep to get there and give them breakfast in the morning and start conversations. It also gives me a glimpse into why I got the job at Asda, as well as being a way of earning money and supporting myself through uni, I really feel like God is equipping me through the opportunity to work with and build relationship through a wide range of people. I'm also so excited for what this step will lead to in these peoples lives, how they could improve them.

Let's see what the next year brings!

XOX

No comments:

Post a Comment